16 January 2013

Yeah, snow, whatever.


It comes to us all at some point. The dreaded “writer's block”. It can be an infuriating blight on any writer. Some people consider it an illusion, a mere excuse for not working hard enough. Others see it as a real problem that can effect a writer.

In the past I've believed I suffered from writer's block. For a long time I was unable to do any writing of note. I grumbled and blame the dreaded block for my predicament. Recently I've come to realise the real issue behind that dry spell. I didn't have the block, I lacked conviction in what I was writing. The inspiration and drive to push on weren't there. If you don't really believe in what you are working on you'll never be able to write it.

Thankfully I haven't been struck down with the block on my current project. Despite slogging away for many months on it I still have the passion and drive to work on it. I feel lucky in that regard.

This isn't everyone's experience. The fickle nature of the muse waxes and wanes in different ways for different people.

No comments:

Post a Comment