7 January 2013

Still with the name thing.


I appreciate that I didn't actually explain why I named this blog The Invictus Nebula in my post the other day. I know it's my own fault for getting distracted so easily by other thoughts.

To an extent this is where the name comes from. My thought process is sometimes rather chaotic. It can be like a huge cloud with dozens, even hundreds, of ideas whipping around at breakneck speed. It's a daunting thing to try and tackle, to actually draw out the good ideas from the background noise.

In the past I've equated this idea cloud to a nebula. The great interstellar clouds of dust and ionised gasses that populate parts of the Milky Way. Some, like the awe-inspiring Pillars of Creation in the Eagle Nebula, are star-forming regions where new stars are born. That's similar to the idea cloud in my head. One makes story ideas the other creates huge luminous spheres of plasma held together by gravity.

So that's the later half of the name dealt with but what about the first half? Invictus is Latin for unconquered. I like to think that the idea cloud in my head is unconquerable. There is no way that I'll ever be able to tame it. The best I can do is hang on long enough to extract as many good ideas as I can.

And that's where the name comes from. It makes sense to me if no one else. I just hope my idea cloud turns into another Pillars of Creation and isn't just a dull cloud of boring dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment