4 January 2013

Beginnings


So I've decided to start a blog. I'm not entirely sure why but it felt like the sort of thing you should do. I'm a writer, or at least want to be a writer. I'm working on my first novel; a sci-fi adventure mystery set on Mars in 2397 where a uni student stumbles into a 30 year old conspiracy surrounding her family.

I've read a few articles online, and in magazines, about being an aspiring writer. Invariably the advise includes “develop a web presence”, or something to that effect at least, which more or less equates to get a twitter account and start a blog. I understand the value of 'getting your name out there' but it does seem rather cynical advice. As if simply doing those two things are all you need to do. It gives no real weight to the quality of the material produced, just talking about yourself and your work and you'll get a “presence”. There is enough rubbish on the internet already, we don't need more of it. OK, I'll admit I'm probably being harsh. There are certainly many examples of excellent blogs written by aspiring authors, that are much more than merely promoting their own work.

You can level the same criticism at me. I've started a blog as part of the run up to eventually publishing my book. However I want to fall into that latter category, have a much more diverse blog.

I will be talking about writing, my own and other peoples, because it does comes with the territory. That won't be the only source of material though. I plan to write about whatever takes my fancy. I'm a sci-fi geek, history nerd and a gamer. I take an interest in politics and world affairs. I will pull from all these sources. So as far as I'm concerned anything and everything is fair game.

I can't promise that anything I write will be insightful or thought provoking. At best I hope to be entertaining in some small way.

No comments:

Post a Comment