29 January 2013

Twitchy


The internet is a wonderful thing. You can find all of human knowledge on it if you look hard enough. The problem is that it's very distracting. How are you supposed to concentrate on a single thing when you can find out anything, or just look at cat gifs.

My vice is esports. Thanks to the fantastic Twitch.tv there is virtually no end to the games you can watch. Normally I'd only watch Starcraft II tournaments but recently I've found myself watching Dota2 and even League of Legends.

I know there are people that don't take professional gamers seriously. Suggesting that these young people are wasting their lives, that they should apply themselves to something worthwhile. To be honest I think that's a rather narrow view. I mean the same can be said about professional footballers, or indeed any pro sport.

Esports are just the latest evolution of an age old function. If someone is a good at a game be it football, tennis, snooker, or chess then there will be people willing to pay money to watch them. There will be companies willing to pony up money in the form of sponsorship or prize pools to get a bit of advertising.

I've played the computers games I mentioned above. I play them badly, I'm just no good at them. The pro gamers that stream or take part in tournaments, they are fantastic. They play at a level I can never hope to achieve. So I enjoy watching them.

I should probably be writing instead. I will....after I watch one more game...

No comments:

Post a Comment