6 February 2013

To make a myth.


How do you make a myth? It is trickier than you think. I've been looking at ways to create realistic sounding myths. They will play a key part to what I'm calling my “Offhand Project”.

I did a creative writing night class a couple of years ago. We did discuss myths in one of the early modules. Unfortunately I've completely forgotten what we talked about. So I'm going to have to make it as I go along.

There is a temptation to simple re-purpose myths from the “real” world. There are benefits to this. It gives a common frame of reference to the readers. I think this is a little lazy though. Better to try and come up with your own ideas.

I'm thinking something along the lines of creation myth involving a battle between multiple factions. Rockmen, iron golems and mankind. Needs a culture hero though. There is always more to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment