1 February 2013

Hmmmm, Minister?


I'm still not really happy with the new Yes, Prime Minister. From what I've seen so far the story is supposed to be happening over one weekend. Indeed it seems like just one day given that Claire hasn't found time to change out of her LBD from the first episode.

The problem I have with this is that it feels like far too much is happening. The balance of power between Jim and Sir Humphrey keeps swinging back and forth. They both keep pulling out killer bits of information that will surely get what they want. I makes the show feel disjointed because these new plot points keep cropping up at regular intervals. It lacks the same fluidity you saw in the old series.

I was thinking of ways this series could have been made better. I believe a better route to take would have been to go a bit Star Trek: The Next Generation. I don't mean set it in space. I mean leave Jim and Sir Humphrey behind and move on to a new generation of characters. If they really wanted to keep a Hacker in there then why not use one of Jim's children? I could totally go with the idea of Jim's daughter following him into politics. They could have brought Bernard back in a Sir Arnold role, a retired Cabinet Secretary that advises the younger generation of civil servants.

You'd need to create a new Sir Humphrey style character but they've more or less already done that. So I don't think it would be much of a problem. Of course our new Hacker would have to start at the bottom again, a newly appointed minister.

I believe doing it this way would have worked better. Though, you might have had to source new writers. I'm not sure Jay and Lynn can really write modern women properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment